DIY Flower Antlers : An Estate Sale Find to a Vintage Inspired Treasure
(In the spirit of full disclosure, there may be affiliate links in this article, which means that I may get a commission if you decide to purchase anything through those links. I only recommend products & services that I use and love myself, so I know you’ll be in good hands.)
As a creative person I can sometimes see an item and immediately visualize what it could become. That's what happened one day at an Estate Sale this past Fall. I ran across two very old set of antlers.
They were mounted on old boards with fabric, which I'd guess to be from around the 50's-60's. Someone at some point must have been very proud of them. They might have even been a youngster's first deer. Whatever their history, they were discarded. What other's might see as a dusty set of antlers, I saw as an opportunity to make something fun.
I love to mix textures and the old with the new. It seemed the perfect opportunity to make these into something soft.
All it took was some imagination and the following supplies. (To make it easier, we've included links so you can see exactly what we used.)
Amy Howard in Bauhaus Buff
I love how soft this moss is. It also holds it's shape well.
This is completely subjective, but I'd pick colors and styles that have good contrast.
Get a big Glue Gun. Don't waste your fingers on the little ones.
They can be found in the Hand Tools Department
Keeper 1-1/2 in. Wire Ring 2-Pack
Also known as a D-Ring. They can be found in the Hardware Department
After I had painted the entire wood and fabric (and yes, you can paint fabric with Amy Howard products), I sealed it with the Clear Wax. When it cured, I buffed out the wax and was ready to start gluing.
I used the Moss as a base for my flowers. It was as simple as using the Hot Glue to attach pieces of Moss to cover the fabric. Then I used Diagonal Cutters (or Cross Cutters or Nippers) to cut the stems off the flowers and I just started gluing. I tried to work with the larger flowers first and then filled in with the smaller ones. I screwed in a D-Ring on the back of each one so it could be hung on the wall.
You can also watch our Facebook video where we actually made them Live.
It's the perfect effect of soft with something hard. They'd look great on a Gallery Wall or even as a stand alone decor item on a mantle or shelf.
They turned out even better than I had expected. They found new homes very quickly. Now I'm on the hunt for more!